Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Is This a Good Test of a Sunday School Curriculum?

"The math questions are too hard."

I confess that I don't get it, but that complaint has been registered about our middle grades Growing in Christ materials. It is one of the reasons cited for a possible change of curriculum. Sigh.

I could argue that the math questions cited, used as part of a puzzle that reviewed a key biblical text in the lesson, were not too hard. In checking a number of on-line math practice resources, all the skills involved are taught in most third-grade classes. I would readily admit, however, that skill development in elementary students varies widely and the problems will undoubtedly seem hard for some students. And the use of math problems in a Bible lesson is not my first preference anyway.

I could also argue, though, that mathematical intelligence is one of the many "ways kids are smart" according to the theories of Howard Gardner and, in varying instruction to engage a wide range of learning styles, using math activities with students who are mathematically inclined is not a bad strategy.

But I really don't need to go far with either of those arguments.

My big concern is with using any single activity, or the inclusion of a type of activity on an occasional basis, as rationale for rejecting an entire curriculum.

The essence of any Christian Sunday School curriculum is its ability to share the Gospel. If you can find two or more such curricula (good luck with that), then you can get fussy about other elements. I promise you, that it will be much easier to edit, adapt, and supplement the activities in a curriculum than it will be to correct bad theology and infuse Gospel.

Really! You cannot expect that any curriculum will meet your needs in every respect! You can read more about why I say that in my first post to this blog; you can read it here. But I would always make theology, Jesus Christ as Savior in every lesson, the non-negotiable starting point.

What criteria do you look for in Sunday School curricula?


God's richest blessings as you teach His children His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment