Search This Blog

Monday, January 28, 2013

Sunday School and the Family

The Bible assigns parents the responsibility for the spiritual nurture of their children (Deuteronomy 6:4-9; Ephesians 6:4). I can envision a world where parents taught God's Word to their children from their earliest days with such dedication and consistency that Sunday School lessons were unnecessary. That's not the world I see, however.

Instead, I find that families today benefit from age-appropriate Christian education for their children. Call me old-fashioned, but I suspect that the tradition of "graded" (that is "separated into grades") Sunday School classes and intergenerational (all ages together) worship that has served our church body for a century or more did not come about by accident. It is a good thing.

A speaker at the recent conference of the National Association of [LCMS] DCEs applauded the "new" pattern in a large SoCal non-denominational megachurch of once a quarter having all age groups set aside their age-segregated worship in order to worship together. (I was disappointed that she didn't know her audience better.) And I've seen congregations, and at one time served one, where at least occasionally all ages would join together for intergenerational Sunday School experiences.

I think intergenerational Sunday School lessons can be wonderful, but I know they take a lot of work; they are not very common; and I don't get very many requests for material to serve that model. I think the traditional Sunday School has relevance and purpose.

But I would encourage you to think about how your church supports families in their role as the primary teachers of the faith.

What resources do you provide so that parents can do their job well? (Such as the Story Bible or My Devotions)

How clearly do you articulate the expectation that parents will teach their children about the Christian faith at home?

What training do you provide to assist parents in this responsibility? What more could you do?

God's blessings as you teach parents to teach God's Word to His children!

No comments:

Post a Comment