Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

How Big Is Your Sunday School?

Stop! Before you read on, classify your Sunday School based on enrollment (the number of children who attend at least once each year). Is it "Big"? "Small"? "Average"?

I'd bet you have underestimated your size, based on enrollment figures in the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. In 2005 (I know, 10 years ago! I'm working to get better figures, but I don't think the situation for Sunday School has improved), here's what things looked like.
  • 1 in 6 congregations reported no Sunday School at all!
  • 2 in 6 reported fewer than 10 students enrolled.
  • Half of the congregations reported fewer than 20 students enrolled.
  • The average enrollment was 37 students.
  • Only 1 in every 20 congregations reported 100 or more students.
I heard last week of a congregation where the Sunday School teacher (yes, the only one) faithfully prepared her lesson every week so that she would be ready if even one student arrived to hear God's Word! I am profoundly grateful for congregations who persist in providing Sunday School for children who show up on Sunday, even if it is just a few.

In the same breath, I give thanks to God for you.

God bless you as you teach His children His Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment