Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Why a Lutheran Sunday School Curriculum?

I am trained and certified in The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod as a director of Christian education. It is a title that I am proud to hold because I think it says something about my abilities, education and preparation for my work, professional status, and commitment to the ministry of teaching God's Word. I take my theological preparation seriously, and I treasure the doctrinal heritage of our Church and its emphasis on teaching both Law and Gospel and distinguishing clearly between them as we do so.

Therefore, it puzzles me and makes me sad when I see Christian education leaders in LCMS congregations (be they pastors, DCEs, lay people, or others) who place so little importance on the theology of Lutheran Church as they select materials for use in the congregations they serve. Can they really not see that material prepared by Baptist, reformed, or non-denominational publishers will consistently fail to teach correctly about the Means of Grace? Even material prepared for other Lutheran denominations will reflect that church body's beliefs about God's Word and their social agenda.

Don't be fooled!
* Material that avoids teaching about Baptism and the Lord's Supper in order to appeal to a broad market of Christian churches misses the very tools that Jesus has given the Christian to nurture faith and sustain a Sunday School student's daily walk as a child of God.
* Material chosen for is appearance or fun activities rather than its theology shortchanges the participants in the long run.

I've heard some Sunday School leaders justify their choice of heterodox materials by saying "I review the material and edit the theology" or "My teachers add Lutheran doctrine as they teach." But if the material omits the Means of Grace, it will rely on Law as the way to salvation. How much editing will be required to strip that kind of error from each Sunday School lesson? How can a lesson that teaches legalism and moralism be corrected by "adding the Gospel"? We cannot teach both error and truth.

I pray that God will guide those who teach His children His Word in the choice of material that is faithful to that Word.

What characteristics do you place first when evaluating Sunday School material?

How can we better communicate the importance of doctrine as we make curriculum choices?


1 comment:

  1. Well said....well said!
    Clapping and cheering for your message at my desk in Wisconsin!

    Where, once again, non-CPH material has been passed onto me with the idea that "it looks fun"
    for the Sunday School curriculum.

    Keep informing and sharing your message and the reason FOR the CPH materials. I'm not too sure many realize what is missing from the 'other' stuff.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete