Search This Blog

Monday, December 5, 2011

Christmas Plans

I've seen some posts this past week on e-mail list I follow on the topic of how to deal with Sunday School on Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Most, almost all, of the responses fall into two groups: those who are going to cancel and those who are going to some form of alternate activity.

I'll admit I'm hard pressed to choose between the alternative of teaching nothing or turning the class over to a video of dancing and singing vegetables who preach moralism instead of God's grace.

Those who follow this blog will know where I stand on this one: there is no better day to teach a solid lesson about God's gift of a Savior from sin, death, and Satan, than on the day we celebrate the Nativity of that Savior and no excuse for teaching moralism in Sunday School ever.

I know that staffing your Sunday School can be difficult on these holidays and I know that low attendance can make planning and teaching a challenge. But in the long run, how we handle these Sundays will say a lot about a congregation's priorities.

How will your congregation meet these challenging Sundays?


How can a congregation prepare for the staffing and attendance challenges without sacrificing the opportunity to teach God's children His Word?

No comments:

Post a Comment